Lists are fun. This is an excruciatingly long “About Me” section. Babbling is one of my talents I guess. Here are ten things to know about me and this silly little blog:
- I am in grad school to become a therapist. I just started, so you will probably be reading a lot of gripes and gladness for the next three years. Originally, I was going to make this blog anonymous to avoid any nonsense (my plan was to be like Batman, except fat and broke), but after some hardcore soul searching, I decided that is just not who I am, and it is definitely not who I want to be for the next three years. So here I am, for all of you beautiful people to see, no masks, no shadows. Note: I will still post with fake names, locations, and other tidbits to help protect other people.
- I love to write. I just hate everything that I come up with. Doing this blog is something that has been suggested by numerous people, but I always question why anyone would want to hear my thoughts. But here I am, finally, putting my creations into the universe. Who knows, maybe these little tidbits of unsolicited advice and manic opinions will have some sort of mass appeal. I will be posting some fiction and poetry, as well as non-fiction and creative memoirs. I’ll be serious sometimes and funny other times. In a way, each finished project has a tiny bit of my soul in it. Which makes it a horcrux. So, in reality, I am Voldemort. But with a nose.
- I am a lovely little cocktail of crazy. This includes moderate OCD, depression, Borderline Personality Disorder, and some undiagnosed anxiety and eating disorders. I have many little demons that live inside of my head, constantly telling me everything wrong with myself. Through hundreds of hours of therapy, I have learned to live with them and accept them as part of the wonder that is me, but not believing them is a daily struggle. I am constantly searching for inner peace, and maybe someday I will find it. So, while this blog will not be just about that, I would love to use it as a forum to break down some of the stigma that surrounds mental illness. If I post about anything especially rough, I promise to mark it with trigger warnings.
- I am quite politically incorrect. I don’t say things for shock value or to harm anyone, but I try to censor myself as little as possible. I was going to write some long, profound paragraph here, but instead I think I will just quote Billy Joel: “I believe I’ve passed the age of consciousness and righteous rage. I found that just surviving was a noble fight.” Amen, Billy Joel. A-friggin-men.
- Cape Cod is where I consider home. I live in Connecticut, but I never have considered it my home base. Being by the water is my peace place.
- I loathe food noises. Slurping, chewing, gulping drinks, lip smacking, talking with a full mouth – I could go on. Any of these make me want to punch the offender square in the vagina and/or ballsack.
- I am an INFJ. I scored almost 100% “introvert”, which my therapist said was both impressive and sad. People are amazed at this though, because I have no problem going up to complete strangers and talking about something obscure. The issues always come when I have to be social with people I know, which is really weird. Plus in general I’d rather just be left alone.
- When I was little, my grandmother told me two things: if you eat a watermelon seed, a watermelon tree will grow in your stomach, and if you wear red nail polish it will look like you just murdered someone. To this day, you will never see me with straight red nails, and I still quietly panic if I swallow a pesky watermelon seed (though I will admit I have yet to sprout a any trees.)
- I don’t like strawberry Starbursts. I know, I know – how am I surviving? I honestly don’t get why they are so popular and I think it is a plan that Trump put into action decades ago – some sort of mind control infusion or something. Which makes him way smarter than I give him credit for. Speaking of Trump, I think his presidency is a huge conspiracy. Anyone watch the original Prison Break? Umm hello…two words…THE COMPANY!
- I am “mildly obsessed” with the world of Harry Potter. I will probably reference it a lot. I love having deep, intellectual discussions about storylines and what-ifs. I argue that Snape is indeed more hero than villain, and that Harry is not as big of a hero as everyone makes him out to be. I have one small Harry Potter tattoo and have been planning a much bigger one for a few years now. People know not to ask me anything about the series unless they have minimum a half hour to listen to random facts about whatever they asked about. (Seriously, someone recently asked me what house I am in – Hufflepuff with strong Slytherin tendencies – and it turned into about an hour of me spouting things she did not ever want to know about the four houses.) And for the love of Dumbledore, if you’ve only seen the movies, run out and get the books. They are so much better and you will learn scads about things you really do need to know in order to understand the movies.
If you made it to the end of this list, please comment and let me know you are here! Share my blog and make me world famous!